Australian Embassy
Islamic Republic of Iran



Please note that all foreign nationals need to obtain a visa prior to travelling to Australia. 

You should not book flights or make travel commitments for Australia, until you have been granted a visa to travel.

The Australian Embassy in Tehran does not process visa applications or provide immigration and citizenship services.

If you are seeking information on a Refugee and Humanitarian visa or a Humanitarian Stay (Temporary) (subclass 449) visa please read the following:

  • Go to the Afghanistan update webpage for the latest information on the Australian Government’s response to the situation in Afghanistan, including information for Afghan subclass 449 visa holders who are outside Australia.
  • If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident in Afghanistan or an Afghan national outside Australia and want to contact the Department of Home Affairs about a visa or citizenship application use this online form.
  • You cannot lodge a Refugee and Humanitarian visa application by emailing forms 842 and 681. Emailed applications cannot be accepted and will not be actioned.
  • If you are looking for information about which Refugee and Humanitarian visa is relevant to your situation, including how to make an application to the Department of Home Affairs, please look at Refugee and humanitarian visas options on the website.
  • The Australian Embassy in Amman processes all refugee visa applications for Afghan citizens who are residing in Iran. Applications should be sent directly to the Australian Embassy in Amman, Jordan at the following address:

PO Box 35201

Amman 11180


General refugee and humanitarian visa queries to this email box will not be actioned or forwarded. Please use the above information to direct your query to the Department of Home Affairs.

There is unprecedented demand for places in Australia's Humanitarian Program. Unfortunately, the demand for places far exceeds the number of places available and most applications which are not referred by UNHCR or proposed by an immediate family member are refused.

Latest news

For the latest immigration and citizenship news, see News archive.


Visa and citizenship applications are managed by the Department of Home Affairs. Embassy staff are unable to assist with general visa or citizenship enquiries.

The Department of Home Affairs website has the most up to date and comprehensive information on applying for visas and citizenship. The website also has useful definitions and tools to help you understand the department’s requirements. Visit the website at Immigration and citizenship.

If you are having trouble locating information on the department’s website, the Home Affairs Digital Assistant may be able to help. The Digital Assistant can help you find information on Australian visas, citizenship and border entry. Visit the Immigration and citizenship website, and click the Ask a question button to get started.

Global Service Centre

If you require additional information, you may telephone the Global Service Centre on +61 2 6196 0196, Monday to Friday, from 9:00am to 5:00pm your local time.

International calls may be subject to charges imposed by your local carrier. You may wish to consider using a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) provider to avoid potentially high charges.

Using an interpreter

When you call the GSC, select option 6 to engage a Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) interpreter in your language. Option 6 can be selected straight after dialling the GSC number.

Alternatively, a TIS interpreter can also be engaged directly via:

Compliments, complaints and suggestions

Your feedback is valuable to the Department of Home Affairs. The department uses your feedback to improve services and investigate and respond to any issues of concern. You can find more information on the department’s website at Compliments, complaints and suggestions.

Allegations related to suspicious border activities

​​​​​​​​​​​If it doesn’t feel right, flag it anonymously with Border Watch. Border Watch is the single collection point for the Department of Home Affairs and the Australian Border Force (ABF) for allegations related to suspicious border activities and is not limited to immigration and citizenship. One small observation could help stop a much larger border crime.  You can report suspicious immigration, customs and border related activity via the Border Watch Online Report.

Biometrics Requirements

Visa applicants will be notified in writing if there is a requirement to provide biometrics within a specified timeframe. There are Australian Biometric Collection Centres located in various locations worldwide. 

The Department's website and  website provide information including the closest Australian Biometric Centre to you.  It is important that you provide biometrics within the timeframe specified, if requested to do so.  Note Australian Biometric Collection Centre in Tehran does not require an appointment for biometrics.

General Information

Please use the below general information to determine how to direct your immigration or citizenship query to the Department of Home Affairs: 

  • You can apply online for most Australian visas and citizenship through ImmiAccount.
  • Please log on to your ImmiAccount to check the status of your visa application.
  • If you already hold a visa you can check your visa status and entitlements through the Visa Entitlement Verification Online system.
  • Go to Visa Finder for more information on what visa might be best for your situation. The Department of Home Affairs does not provide migration advice. If you need assistance with applying for a visa, you may wish to engage a registered migration agent. More information is available on the Office of the Migration Agents Registration Authority website.
  • Go to the global visa processing times webpage to find out more information about the current processing times for visas. The Department of Home Affairs will not respond to progress enquiries if your visa application is within global visa processing times.
  • Go to the changes in your circumstances webpage if your situation has changed or is about to change, and you need to tell the Department of Home Affairs because your visa might be affected.
  • Go to New Passport Details ( if you don’t have an ImmiAccount and need to tell the Department about your new passport/travel document details.
  • Go to the Department of Home Affairs website for further information on entering or leaving Australia including information on security, quarantine, health or customs requirements.

 Home Affairs Web links

Below are a number of links to frequently asked questions.  The Home Affairs website should be your first option when planning any travel to Australia. 

See: Visit Australia if you would like to visit Australia for tourism or for business meetings 
See: Work in Australia if you would like to work in Australia
See: Skill Select  if you would like to migrate as a skilled migrant
See: Study in Australia if you would like to study in Australia
See: Family Migration if you would like to bring your family or partner to Australia
See: Become a citizen if you would like to know about the pathways to becoming an Australian citizen
See: General information and enquiry forms
See: What is an ImmiAccount and how does it work
See: My visa is about to expire – what do I do?
See: Information on Biometrics
See: Where do I book an appointment for my biometrics?
See: General Refund Provisions
See: How do I update my passport or other details on my application?
See: Where can I go to complete my medicals?
See: How long will it take to process my application and is my application within the 90% processing time frame?

Technical Problems with ImmiAccount

If you experience any technical difficulties with your ImmiAccount please refer to the following advice on the Home Affairs website: ImmiAccount Technical Help.

If you are still unable to resolve your issue submit your enquiry via the ImmiAccount Technical Support Form.